Re: The web doesn't need another poorly implemented API

> 1. There is no way that browsers will implement such a complex API in a
reasonably consistent manner.

First of all, there's no so much API to be implemented, because modular
approach to cE limited the scope. Second, the whole "editing" thing is
highly platform specific (it depends on OS, device, browser and other
components) and the new API takes that into consideration. It's going to
reduce the complexity with which you'd have to deal if you tried to
implement cE from scratch in JS. If that was possible at all...

> 1. It is possible to write client code that implements all of this,
without using any contentEditable at all.

No, it isn't possible currently. And there's a very long way to go before
it'd be possible. I've written an article to explain exactly this situation
–
https://medium.com/content-uneditable/contenteditable-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-261a38555e9c

> After dealing with current `designMode` and `contentEditable`
implementations, I can tell you, they are bad. But you know that. What
guarantees that implementations of this will be any different?

Because:

* they will be based on a spec, the current ones are based on personal
preferences,
* the spec is a result of discussions between browser developers and editor
developers,
* all of us (or at least majority) believe that cE is necessary.

--
Piotrek Koszuliński
CKEditor JavaScript Lead Developer