Re: exposing underlining mechanism for IME?

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 07:32:58AM +0100, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> Hey,
> looking at some files around IME in blink's source code. The code for
> markers (spelling, composition) looks interesting. Are there security
> concerns that make us not expose those to JS? If so, what concerns are
> those?
>
> It seems like the main problem problem for IME is figuring out what is a
> candidate text (what is underlined), what is committed. Candidate text is
> already part of the DOM, so for us who look at the DOM from the perspective
> of JavaScript, it makes it all really difficult to deal with, and for those
> working in the browser world everything is getting more complex when we try
> to do anything unpredicted in JS because you then need to make sure that
> your underlining mechanism works correctly.
>
> But what if we exposed something like
>
> addCompositionMarker(range,color,thickness,backgroundColor)

Say that the editor's author decides that underline and thickness do not
apply?  Is something like this not possible, where the editor JavaScript
would activate the composition style on the composition-start event, and
deactivate the style when the -end event arrived?

Example 1: enter a "naked" accent

 user key commands  JavaScript events
 -----------------  -----------------
 Option-E