Re: on execCommand() and script-triggered copy/cut/paste

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <
hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>
> wrote:
>

>> We will not want the new specs to be implemented if they cannot be used
>> fully without the usage of execCommand.
>>

> But the thing is this is not "new stuff" to be implemented. It's all stuff
> that more or less is implemented alread in at least one browser, but has
> compat problems because it lacks a spec.

Yes, but this is not part of this, right: "cE=events, new clipboard access
functions."

So it seems fully compatible with your goals to say "until 201x it worked
> like this, this is how you can detect new features and here's documentation
> on the sort of code you should use with the new stuff".

Maybe we should just move everything about execCommand and the clipboard to
the execCommand spec? So move your section 10.3 into the execCommand spec,
which is marked as "currently obsolete".

That way execCommand it won't end up a a W3C recommendation with no good
reason.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org