Re: [editing] CommandEvent and contentEditable=minimal Explainer

On 17/06/2014 02:39 , Julie Parent wrote:
> I certainly understand the concern that it would be impossible to
> properly catch and cancel all events.  But I think that is somewhat the
> point - it forces browser vendors to get these parts right.  All changes
> to an editable dom must fire an event before the modifications are made,
> and must be cancelable. Further, I'd say that if the number of events
> you would need to preventDefault on grows larger than selection,
> command, and maybe clipboard then that implies that we are not building
> the right APIs.

Apart from other problems with building on top of contentEditable=true
(notably that you keep getting the native browser UI, which is likely
very wrong) I'd be really worried that we'd be painting ourselves into a
corner with this approach.

If we realise a year or two from now that the design we picked isn't
ideal and that we'd really need a new event type, the reliance on
"prevent everything I don't know about" could severely constrain our
options, and force us to shoehorn new functionality into existing events
just to make sure we don't break existing content.

I don't think that the (limited) benefits are really worth it.