Re: [dxwg] Question: how to catalog relational database data in DCAT? (#1240)

From: zeginis via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 08:46:48 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
We are also using the 4 "dimensional characterisation" using the RDF-QB vocabulary to describe the structure of the dataset (dimensions, measures, ranges)

Regarding the relation of the dataset with a database/table we (+ @rapw3k) will finally use the following approach:

```
a:dataset-001 a dcat:Dataset ;
  dct:title "Dataset about YYY"@en ;
  dcat:distribution a:database-001.

a:dataset-002 a dcat:Dataset ;
  dct:title "Dataset about ZZZ"@en ;
  dcat:distribution a:database-001.

a:database-001 a ex:Database ;
                  ex:connectionString "jdbc:oracle:thin:@​hostname:1521:my-database";
                  ex:accessTable [ a ex:Table ;
                                  ex:tableName "Table1";
                                  dct:subject a:dataset-001] ;
                 ex:accessTable [ a ex:Table ;
                                  ex:tableName "Table2"
                                  dct:subject a:dataset-002] .
```
Where `ex:Database subClassOf dcat:Distribution`.
So we will model the Database as the distribution . The database has multiple tables so in order to map the table to a dataset we use the `dct:subject`. Note: each dataset is stored at a separate DB table.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by zeginis
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1240#issuecomment-658056080 using your GitHub account