RE: [dxwg] dcat:mediaType - check constraints

Stephane,

You absolutely right about the confusion that is created by having two properties that do the same thing but do it slightly differently. See https://github.com/SEMICeu/DCAT-AP/issues/26.

However, the way that Project Open Data uses dcat:mediaType with a string is in violation of DCAT; I don’t think there can be any doubt about that. The example in section 4 (https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#vocabulary-overview) is wrong, but there is a clear statement at the beginning “This section is non-normative“. The definition at https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#Property:distribution_media_type is normative.

As far as I see it, we can’t change the range from the current dct:MediaTypeOrExtent to rdfs:Literal without breaking existing implementations that do the ‘right’ thing. At most, we could decide to remove the range axiom which would allow both types of usage.

Of course the same argument could be used for all DCAT properties, as for all properties in all Linked Data vocabularies. Lots of people do not worry about the distinction between ‘strings’ and ‘things’. Schema.org even makes this explicit:

“We also expect that often, where we expect a property value of type Person, Place, Organization or some other subClassOf Thing, we will get a text string, even if our schemas don't formally document that expectation. In the spirit of "some data is better than none", search engines will often accept this markup and do the best we can.” http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html

But is that the way we want to go?

Makx.