Re: Agenda February 6

Plenty of specifications would not have a formalism for that vocabulary in
a form you can reference - for example NetCDF,  UML.   We are, admittedly
most interested in constraints which can be applied to specified elements,
hence there is an implied need for a vocabulary for any specification,
however profiles written as text documents may use all sorts of references
- such as paragraph numbers.

So, IMHO, specifying that a specification can only be a namespace document
for a vocabulary restricts a more general notion of a "data vocabulary".
But we can certainly make strong guidance re a preference for formal
vocabularies as a view of a specification.

What better term than "specification" can we use then?  "formalised
description of a set of implementation constraints" - clunky,

personally happy with the OED definition #1

"An act of identifying something precisely or of stating a precise
requirement. "

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/specification

The "vauge" - or unspecified - aspects are "exactly what the scope is"
(problematic as discussed above) and "how the specification is stated" -
also something we should not overprescribe.

Is the push back because people are looking for a specific mechanism for
profile DCAT?

There is no reason we can't profile a broader  defintion of profile to
decribe best practices for DCAT profiles :-)

Can the DCAT guidance group not provide a narrower description of profiles
based on the very specific practices they wish to use, and ground this in
the general definition needed to describe the wiser world?

Rob