RE: Start of profiles analysis page - 2nd reply

Annette, Thomas,

In Ruben’s definition, Application Profiles are about expressing structural constraints and/or semantic interpretations.

That is not to say that, if you need a property that does not exist elsewhere, you can’t define it for your own use or for use in your community. It just says that you cannot do that *inside* the Application Profile.

Suppose you want to develop an Application Profile for you application and publish it at a URL like: http://example.org/profiles/profile001.rdf. This would refer to various classes and properties from various namespaces and define constraints on those.

Now, if you needed a specific property to describe the resources that the application is concerned with, for example their colour, the *definition* of that property would not be in the Application Profile. You would need to define it in a separate namespace, for example in http://example.org/ns/terms/ that includes the property http://example.org/ns/terms/colour. In your Application Profile, you can then define constraints on that property.

This keep the definition of “Application Profile” clean, and leaves all the necessary flexibility to define properties that are needed for a particular application or community. It also enables the change and release management of a Application Profile to be different from the change and release management of a namespace.

Makx.