Re: Problems removing hasDimension and hasMetric as abstract properties

Dear  Jeremy and All,
according to the DQV plan [1],  we should solve issues 204 and 205 by the
end of  this week.
A month ago,  we were stuck in discussing two possible modelling solutions,
I have summarized   them below,
with some new info in reply to Jeremy's objections.

I kindly ask to the group members and in particular,  RDF/OWL enthusiasts
to help us making up our minds ;)

In the previous mails, you can also find a  discussion of pros and cons
 related to the two modelling solutions.

Cheers,
Riccardo

*****MODELING SOLUTION A*****

  the modelling solution  currently adopted from DAQ, which defines the
classes Dimension and Category as "Abstract classes", and requires
that  each time you want to have a  new dimension or category you define a
subclass and an instance of that subclass,

For example, assuming you want to add two categories
( ex:Accessibility, ex:Intrinsic) , two Dimensions
( ex:Availability, ex:Consistency),

You are expected

- to define two subclasses of category

ex:Accessibility rdfs:subClassOf dqv:Category .

ex:Intrinsic rdfs:subClassOf dqv:Category .

-to define two subclasses of Dimension

ex:Availability rdfs:subClassOf dqv:Dimension .

ex:Consistency rdfs:subClassOf dqv:Dimension .

-And then, to define one instance of each of the classes you have defined.

ex:accessibility a ex:Accessibility .

ex:intrinsic a ex:Intrinsic .

So that you can relate dimensions with categories.

ex:availability a ex:Availability ;

dqv:hasCategory ex:accessibility .

ex:consistency a ex:Consistency ;

dqv:hasCategory ex:intrisic.

*****MODELING SOLUTION B *****

the one exploiting skos instead of Subclassing,

which assumes that the following new statements are added to  DQV

 dqv:Category   rdfs:subclass  skos:Concept

 dqv:Dimension  rdfs:subclass  skos:Concept .

 dqv:hasCategory rdfs:subPropertyOf  skos:broader .

So that each time you need to add categories and dimensions, they  can be
directly  instantiated as SKOS concepts

ex:accessibility a  dqv:Category.

ex:intrinsic a  dqv:Category .

 ex:availability a  dqv:Dimension ;

      dqv:hasCategory ex:accessibility .

 ex:consistency a  dqv:Dimension ;

       dqv:hasCategory ex:intrisic.

 @Jeremy,  concerning your last mail,
-  I have tried to implement the design solution B)  and I don't see the
reasoning problem you have mentioned.
Of course, there is the possibility that I have not completely understood
your point,  so  you are more than welcome if you want to double-check, You
find the  materialization of the reasoning obtained with B  in [2].
- concerning the possibility to have  extra-properties,  I think you still
can have it, actually you can  use subclassing as you planned  in the daq
in order to model extra properties,  If I have correctly understood the
main difference is that you don't have to use subclasses, if you don't want
extra properties.

Let's see the example below, ( you can find it in [3])

if we want to have a further dimension X which is expected to have  an
 extra-property Y,  and a subclass  X1 of X which is expected to have at
least a  property Y1,  in analogy with what you would have done on the
original Daq design,
we can state

X rdfs:subClassOf dqv:Dimension , [ rdf:type owl:Restriction ;
                                            owl:onProperty <
http://example.com/ex#Y> ;
                                            owl:cardinality
"1"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger
                                          ] .

X1  rdfs:subClassOf X,  [ rdf:type owl:Restriction ;
                                             owl:onProperty <
http://example.com/ex#Y1> ;
                                             owl:minCardinality
"1"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger