Re: a first proposal for Issue-205

Hi,

Thanks a lot, Riccardo!

I'd suggest a small amendment: I we don't need dqv:hasDimension as a subproperty of skos:broader. This would de-facto classify dqv:Metrics as dqv:Concepts. While I'm generally not so fussy about dual-typing things as skos:Concepts and other classes, here I'm not sure this will bring us anything positive.

My take is that using SKOS hierarchies in our context would rather pay off as an option to organize the categories or the dimensions between them.
For example:

ex:linguisticCompleteness skos:broader ex:completeness.

This would bring us quite close to the patter used for motivations by the Web Annotation model [1].
There the SKOS relations hold between (extensions of) motivations. And our own dqv:hasDimension/dqv:hasCategory would have for dqv:Metric a role analogous to that of oa:motivatedBy for oa:Annotation.

This pattern also allow to later reconcile different categories or dimensions coming from different instanciations of DQV. Continuing my toy example:

ex1:linguisticCompleteness skos:closeMatch ex2:languageCoverage

In the end I'm fairly sure following a very similar patter to that of Web Annotation will pay off, as both DUV and DQV are already re-using bits of the Annotation Model. But I don't know precisely when and how :-)

A final comment: the Web Annotation model is still officially a moving target. But they're progressing quite fast, and the Motivation part of the model has been stable for quite a while so I wouldn't refrain from getting inspiration from it. In fact this SKOS-based pattern has been used in many other data models...

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#extending-motivations