RE: Thought for URI section

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/brandon/FOIS-06/CRC/Part-5/20_fois06.pdf relates to [2] below

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Archer [mailto:phila@w3.org]
Sent: 01 May 2015 11:25
To: Makx Dekkers; 'Public DWBP WG'
Subject: Re: Thought for URI section

Gah! You're distracting me from writing the Share-PSI report on
Timisoara which was due yesterday but I can't resist jumping in to one
of my pet subjects...

1. No, DCAT doesn't handle versions and maybe it should. As you know,
ADMS does [1]. We defined prev, next and last terms in that vocabulary
as a possible way forward.

2. There's a paper by Chris Welty et al [2] on this but it's behind a
paywall, but there's a good example of how it might be used in some work
done around INSPIRE last year [2] (I've been reading this a lot recently
for work in another project).

3. Adopting that approach, we'd have a class of VersionedThing. This
would be the 'enduring thing' like Global Index that then linked to
specific versions that would include temporal info. Let me attempt a
rough and ready model.

<#GlobalIndex> a version:VersionedThing;
   dcterms:title "Global Open Data Index"@en ;
   version:currentVersion <#GI2014> ;
   version:predecessor <#GI2013> ;
   dcterms:hasVersion <#GI2014>, <#GI2015> ;
   dcat:landingPage <http://index.okfn.org/place/> .

<GI2014> a version:Version, dcat:Dataset ;
   dcterms:isVersionOf <#GlobalIndex> ;
   version:interval time:Interval ;
   dcterms:replaces <#GI2013> ;
   dcterms:isReplacedBy <#GI2015> ;
   dcat:landingPage <http://index.okfn.org/place/2014/> .
   dcat:distribtution <blah blah> .

So in this very quick sketch, the enduring class is not a dcat:Dataset,
but each of the versions is (we'd have to remove the domain of
dcat:landingPage which is currently dcat:Dataset). DCAT has
dcterms:temporal as a property so the changes here to DCAT are pretty
small - but this is just a thing to throw rocks at, not a considered view.

Incidentally, work to complete the standardisation of the OWL Time
Ontology is under way in the Spatial Data on the Web WG.

 From a DWBP POV this is getting into the granularity part of 'the data
quality and granularity vocab' - which we decided just to call the data
quality vocab the other day but, if this is seen as important to the
community, you could propose to bring the name back.

In terms of Krems, this sounds like one or more of:
- a bar camp;
- a project meeting agenda item

WDYT?

Phil.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-adms/

[2]
https://www.coursehero.com/file/p5a8fsp/C-Welty-R-Fikes-S-Makarios-A-Reusable-Ontology-for-Fluents-in-OWL-IBM-Research/

[3] https://kwz.me/Ic (page 35)

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead

http://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1

This email was scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec.  (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.)  In case of problems, please call your organisations IT Helpdesk.

This email has been received from an external party and
has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

This e-mail (and any files or other attachments transmitted with it) is intended solely for the attention of the addressee(s). Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage, copying or distribution of any part of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy the email, remove any copies from your system and inform the sender immediately by return.

Communications with the Scottish Government may be monitored or recorded in order to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. The views or opinions contained within this e-mail may not necessarily reflect those of the Scottish Government.

Tha am post-d seo (agus faidhle neo ceanglan  còmhla ris) dhan neach neo luchd-ainmichte a-mhàin. Chan eil e ceadaichte a chleachdadh ann an dòigh sam bith, a’ toirt a-steach còraichean, foillseachadh neo sgaoileadh,  gun chead. Ma ’s e is gun d’fhuair sibh seo le gun fhiosd’, bu choir cur às dhan phost-d agus lethbhreac sam bith air an t-siostam agaibh, leig fios chun  neach a sgaoil am post-d  gun dàil.

Dh’fhaodadh gum bi teachdaireachd sam bith bho Riaghaltas na h-Alba air a chlàradh neo air a sgrùdadh airson dearbhadh gu bheil an siostam ag obair gu h-èifeachdach neo airson adhbhar laghail eile. Dh’fhaodadh nach  eil beachdan anns a’ phost-d seo co-ionann ri beachdan Riaghaltas na h-Alba.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.