Re: ACTION-10 Possible contribution to the topic from DANS

Hoi,

Ok. So we may be onto something slightly different then... regarding your
example, the temperature in Luxembourg the 2003-04-08 would most likely be
fetched out of a preserved data set that contains the daily temperatures.
This dataset would be preserved at, say, DANS and contain only "
http://example.com/lu" URIs in it (just like every new version of DBpedia
still use exactly the same URIs for the resources it contains). Then we
would more likely build something like http://example.com/dataset/UUID?
http://example.com/lu, the UUID being that of the dataset which contains
the description of the temperatures on 2003-04-08.

But the two problems I have with this approach are:
* The use of a parameter for the request, this makes it easier that trying
to split the URI but it not as neat as having just a plain URI. In this
respect, we are also looking at the IETF DURI draft (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-masinter-dated-uri-10) to provide a nicer
dated scheme for URIs. But then we would need a dereferencing service for
those DURI who is likely to take them as a GET parameter... so we just
shift the issue :-\
* In order to just deliver the preserved data as it was preserved, the
description should still describe http://example.com/lu and thus not take
into account the fact that it is a different time-located version of the
description that is being returned. We could rewrite the description on the
fly but that's not a good practice wrt preservation. Maybe embedding the
description into another that described the archived resource, and package
the whole thing with provenance info would be a good fix there...

Cheers,
Christophe
<http://example.com/lu>

--