From: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
Date: Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Subject: Open Street map resources
To: hadley@linkedgov.org

Hi Hadley,

It was lovely to see you again on Monday, and to speak to your W3C
colleagues.

I undertook to provide some URLs for the resources mentioned in my talk:

OSM: <http://www.openstreetmap.org/>

OSM wiki: <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page>

OSM key descriptions: <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Keys>

(regarding keys, our Brazilian friends might find
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Pt-br:Keys> useful)

(note the pt-br language list)

JOSM (map editor used as in slides): <http://josm.openstreetmap.de/>

Mapbox: <http://mapbox.com/>

Leaflet.js: <http://leafletjs.com/>

Maperitive: <http://maperitive.net/>

Geofabrik MapCompare: <http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/>

Overpass API: <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API>

Overpass Turbo: <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo>

OpenPlaques: <http://openplaques.org/>

Proposal to use fuzzy matching to add Wikipedia/ Wikidata URIs to
OSM.: <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Pigsonthewing/Wikipedia>

I also discussed ORCID with some of your colleagues; ORCID (the "Open
research Contributor ID" is a UID for the authors of papers,
standards, etc, rather like a DoI. I urge all of your colleagues to
apply online for one, at <http://orcid.org>.

I found our meeting very thought provoking, and am now involved in a
number of discussions on OSM mailing lists, about improving some of
the issues we discussed. For example, I have formulated a way to show
URL patterns in OSM key documentation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:KeyDescription>; you can
see this in use in the template, top right on
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:openplaques_plaque>.

Please would you circulate this email to your group's members? And
please circulate details of ORCID to your fellow working group chairs

Best wishes,

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing