From: Jeremy Tandy [mailto:jeremy.tandy@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 October 2015 12:43
To: Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>; Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>; Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>; public-dwbp-comments@w3.org
Subject: Re: Webby Data

Hi Makx

> how much change is allowed for an entity to be considered ‘the same’. Are there any hard rules in the LDR to determine this?

This is the crucial question! There are no hard rules, but the essence is described below.

I think that it is fine to add new information about the entity, e.g. additional
properties, new translations of labels (different languages), to fix errors etc. This is changing the information about the entity, but still referring to the _same_ entity.

Things that change the entity? When dealing with (SKOS) Concepts you can often get away with broadening a definition and still treating it as the same- because all the data "in the wild" that references the concept still works. This is not true if you narrow the definition. In that case I would (in a registry context) deprecate the current definition (keep it available but say "don't use") and mint a new concept for the narrower concept. Another example; this time a physical thing. Think of a sports stadium. It might be completely rebuilt but people still call it by the same name ... Identity is a social construct. In this case you could consider the new and old to be the same sports stadium; with different information attributes. But if the stadium was moved (etc) people often give it a new name. In this case, I see these as two different entities.

Sameness, as you can see, will always be subjective. But hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Jeremy