W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-dwbp-comments@w3.org > August 2015

Re: some comments on the DWBP draft

From: Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 14:48:16 -0300
Message-ID: <CANx1PzwjvDzw5RiERt5ZnU+KcbTeniB36f05zOR5Xesu80ASKQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Cc: public-dwbp-comments@w3.org
Hi Erik,

Last Friday, during the meeting of the DWBP working group, we discussed
some of your comments about linking data resources. However, we still don't
have a "concrete" proposal of how to show this as part of the BP. Could you
please give some examples of how to link data resources identified by URIs
using hypermedia ?

Thank you!
Bernadette



2015-08-05 20:05 GMT-03:00 Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>:

> hello bernadette.
>
> On 2015-08-05 15:07 , Bernadette Farias Lóscio wrote:
>
>> - Say something about the use of HTTP conneg or different URIs for
>> different resource representations. This is gonna be addressed by data
>> formats BP or data access BP.
>>
>
> very good. the REST community never got to a preferred way how to deal
> with this: some prefer HTTP conneg, some prefer different URIs. it would be
> fine to simply mention those possibilities (and maybe their pros/cons)
> without necessarily promoting one.
>
> - Discuss fragment identification (keeping this identification robust
>> across different representations). For this, we need to discuss the
>> concept of resource fragmentation. Could you please indicate some
>> references about this?
>>
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5 is where they are
> defined. the gotcha is that their interpretation depends on the media type,
> so for example for XML, http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/ is how
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7303#section-5 defines them (well, it's
> actually XPointer but i'll spare you the details).
>
> - Discuss the creation of links between resources.  IMO, in order to
>> discuss the creation of links between data resources we need to discuss
>> the principles of linked data and the use of RDF. Do you agree with this
>> proposal or would you like to propose another way of defining links
>> between data resources?
>>
>
> i disagree. linking data is a part of web architecture (the HATEOAS in
> REST) and independent of specific technologies such as RDF. since most
> people interpret the term "linked data" as implying RDF, it is too specific
> for this discussion. my proposal was to start with hypermedia as a concept,
> and take it from there.
>
> even if you want to mention RDF, then it would be a bad example because it
> is not hypermedia. it is a graph data model that needs additional layers
> (like the ones i pointed to in earlier emails) so that it can be used as
> hypermedia.
>
> my proposal is to start with these simple principles, because they are
> just about how to be webby, without prescribing a technology for it:
>
> https://github.com/dret/webdata (the key point is the fourth star)
>
> kind regards,
>
>
> dret.
>
> --
> erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
>            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |
>            | http://dret.net/netdret http://twitter.com/dret |
>



-- 
Bernadette Farias Lóscio
Centro de Informática
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received on Saturday, 8 August 2015 17:49:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Saturday, 8 August 2015 17:49:05 UTC