Re: Extension specifications / modules vs. ARIA Core (ACTION-1618)

Shane,

I anticipate that the SVG a11y task force will want to create new roles for
objects in graphics. We imagine the roles will be needed for navigation and
assistive technologies. I doubt graphics roles will extend existing roles
as graphic and charts in particular have their own terms and uses.  For
instance some roles we may want are data, axis, legend, label, scale,
symbol and a few more.  These things have semantic meaning in charts, maps,
blue prints and STEM graphics. Making graphics roles extend existing aria
roles which relate to web pages would be forced and unnatural.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson