From: Bill Kasdorf [mailto:bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:10 AM
To: Ivan Herman; Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG; W3C PF - DPUB Joint Task Force
Subject: RE: case for abstract?

I certainly didn't mean to minimize the importance of the abstract, only to say that in most areas of publishing it isn't commonly used (scholarly and standards being two of the exceptions). I should also say that it is rapidly becoming more widely used, especially in commercial contexts where it lives outside the paywall. I advise all of my clients to include abstracts for that reason. But they're often in metadata and almost always explicitly labelled as such. In trade publishing they're typically in the ONIX feeds but not in the books themselves . . . unless you want to consider "flap copy" a form of abstract. . . . ;-)