From: Avneesh Singh
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 22:06
To: Charles LaPierre ; Ivan Herman
Cc: George Kerscher ; Deborah Kaplan ; public-dpub-accessibility@w3.org
Subject: Re: draft text for charter: copying text in email

For convenience, I am copying the scope from the charter here. It will help in quick review.
It would be good to close this issue as soon as possible.

2. Scope

For the purpose of this document, A Web Publication (WP) is a collection of one or more constituent resources, organized together in a uniquely identifiable grouping that may be presented using standard Open Web Platform technologies. A Web Publication is not just a collection of links—the act of publishing involves obtaining resources and organizing them into a publication, which must be “manifested” by having files on a Web server. Thus the publisher provides an origin for the WP, and a URL that can uniquely identify that manifestation. A Web Publication must provide a number of features whose detailed specification is in the scope of this Working Group. While some of the detailed requirements have already been documented elsewhere, the most important and high level characteristics, that must be translated into specifications are:
• A Web Publication may be portable, and be hosted at some other origin. However, it must preserve information about its original origin and identity, so that references to a portable copy can be reconciled with the original publication, and so that the other origin can make informed choices about how much trust to grant to the publication.
• A Web Publication may be packaged by having all its constituent resources combined into a single file. The package must include the unique identifier of the manifestation—a Web Publication’s origin is essential information if it is to becomes portable. The act of packaging must be reversible; one must be able to recover the original structure and organization.
• It must be possible to make Web Publications accessible to a broad range of readers with different needs and capabilities.
• A Web Publication must be available and functional while the user is offline. A user should, as much as possible, have a seamless experience of interacting with a Web Publication regardless of their network connection. We make no distinction between online and offline when defining Web Publications.
• A Web Publication, having an identity and nature beyond its constituent resources, will have metadata that describes the publication as a whole. We also introduce the abstract concept of a manifest, which serves to carry information about the constituent resources of the publication. The metadata and manifest will also incorporate information about the sequence and presentation of the content.
•A Web Publication must provide access to a range metainformation including (but not restricted to): ◦table of content, default or alternate reading order;
◦security and authentication data;
◦metadata like author(s), title, unique identification.

Recommendation-track deliverables will contain mechanisms to make Web Publications accessible to a broad range of readers with different needs and capabilities. This includes general WCAG and WAI requirements of the W3C as well as requirements for international readers using different scripts and document formats. Additional extended requirements will be identified as conformance requirements in the Working Group’s normative specifications. Profiles of Web Publications may be defined with more stringent accessibility requirements.

EPUB has become one of the fundamental technologies for the global publishing ecosystem (see the separate document, published by the W3C Publishing Business Group, for more details and backgrounds). It is the preferred format for a broad range of types of publications, not only for distribution but increasingly also for authoring and production workflows. As part of the work on Web Publications, described in this charter, it is also critical that a next generation of EPUB, currently referred to as EPUB 4, retain the specificity, portability, predictability, accessibility, and internationalization required by the publishing ecosystem while benefitting from the improved features and functionalities offered by Packaged Web Publications. EPUB 4 must not be in conflict with Web Publications; it must be a type of Web Publication that provides the predictability and interoperability that this ecosystem has come to rely on.

With regards
Avneesh