Re: The use cases table, modified, for comment

> On 12 Oct 2015, at 15:56 , Deborah Kaplan <dkaplan@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:
>
>> Deborah,
>> I have made some very minor changes mostly on the first table; have put it into a separate branch on the repo:
>> https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpub-accessibility/ivan-comment-on-analysis/extended-description-analysis.html
>
> Thank you, Ivan.
>
>> - the second table says 'no' to 'exposed meaningfully to the accessibility API and UA' for the column on 'details with src and role'. I
>> am not sure that is fair.
>
> Our definition of "meaningfully" for the purposes of this table is "in a
> way that the API and UA can understand this is further description". In
> other words, longdesc and describedby both give enough information to
> say that this is specifically a description of the referred-to object;
> longdesc says "this is further description, beyond the basic" and
> describedby says "this is a basic description". How the user
> agents and AT deal with that meaningful information is another issue,
> but we maintain it is important semantic information that needs to be
> exposed.
>
> The only way this can happen is if the role referred to above is
> specifically something which indicates "extended description".
> describedat would do that; a different role as yet unspecified would do
> that. But a generic role would not do anything of the sort.

That is of course correct. But I interpreted that option ("details with src and role") as providing the possibility to add a role that would make it clear that the src is some sort of an alternative description, ie, that it is not (necessarily) just a generic role.

Maybe it is worth making it clearer in the text what we really mean by this combination.

>> - the implementation complexity seems to be really guess work. I made some changes there to make it a bit more fair
>
> we only touched the 2nd table. PF is full of browser implementers, and
> Dpub accessibility has none, so we thought they were better able than we
> are to populate that table. :-)

Yep, this comment is mostly for Michael who, afaik, put together this tableā€¦

Cheers

Ivan

> Deborah

----