RE: DPUB A11Y TF Meeting tomorrow 4/10

Due to work obligations, I will be unable to attend for the next 3 weeks.

Talk to you on May 1.

Mia

*From:* Charles LaPierre [mailto:charlesl@benetech.org]
*Sent:* Thursday, April 09, 2015 9:04 AM
*To:* public-dpub-accessibility@w3.org
*Subject:* DPUB A11Y TF Meeting tomorrow 4/10

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder to the accessibility TF DPUB meeting tomorrow morning

8AM PDT / 11AM EDT / 15:00 UTC

The Zakim bridge number is +1.617.761.6200 <//+1.617.761.6200>. the code
conference is 3782 ("DPUB"), followed by the # key.

Tomorrow we will continue with the WCAG Techniques we have previously
marked either Not relevant to DPUB or there was questions and the reviewer
was unsure.  We finished off General and HTML, and now moving onto CSS and
Client Side scripting.

Here are the list of techniques we will discuss

WCAG A11Y DPUB CSS Techniques

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fL9REi-bEvzvL17I4QQWkgNUPAMyIOlndG-Yg3DolrQ/edit?usp=sharing

C9: Using CSS to include decorative images

No

Susann

Background Images that go behind text or in container areas.

C28: Specifying the size of text containers using em units

No

Susann

em are not necessary but can be used. If it were easy to select em or pt,
that might be nice.

C29: Using a style switcher to provide a conforming alternate version

No

Susann

I hate this idea. Make your 1 version right.

C15: Using CSS to change the presentation of a user interface component
when it receives focus

No - but this is a powerful customization that is constantly being used on
the web.

Susann

Styling a unique experience by highlighting focused items in a special way.

C7: Using CSS to hide a portion of the link text

Unclear

Susann

? - I've never seen this. Short links?

C12: Using percent for font sizes

Unclear

Susann

This allows the font size to grow according to your default font. You can
set a default text font at 12pt and then all other fonts are a percentage
of this. If you change the default, the whole document can change.

C22: Using CSS to control visual presentation of text

Unclear

Susann

Visual Presentation is unclear

C23: Specifying text and background colors of secondary content such as
banners, features and navigation in CSS while not specifying text and
background colors of the main content

Unclear

Susann

Style per sections of a page?

C26: Providing options within the content to switch to a layout that does
not require the user to scroll horizontally to read a line of text

Unclear

Susann

This does not seem stylistic and can be also achieved with column widths
and layout CSS, etc

C30: Using CSS to replace text with images of text and providing user
interface controls to switch

Unclear

Susann

? Unclear what this means

C14: Using em units for font sizes

Unclear - I would not think so. Just need one standard for font sizes.

Susann

Assigning font sizes in EM rather thatn PT

WCAG A11Y DPUB Client-side Scripting Techniques

SCR24: Using progressive enhancement to open new windows on user request

no

MiaL

too web-specific. Though new windows should be generated, I don't think
this is about progressive enhancement for DPUB.

SCR28: Using an expandable and collapsible menu to bypass block of content

no

MiaL

SCR30: Using scripts to change the link text

no

MiaL

SCR1: Allowing the user to extend the default time limit

?

MiaL

Definitely for readers/clients, not sure if applicable for content.

SCR14: Using scripts to make nonessential alerts optional

?

MiaL

Having a hard time thinkinng of a use case; might be no.

SCR18: Providing client-side validation and alert

?

MiaL

for reader/client

SCR21: Using functions of the Document Object Model (DOM) to add content to
a page

?

MiaL

this seems too web-specific, thoough the general concept seems applicable.

SCR22: Using scripts to control blinking and stop it in five seconds or less

?

MiaL

I think blinking content should prohibited. Would a Dpub contain it anyway?
If so, we shoould discuss. Didn't want to say no outright yet though.

SCR31: Using script to change the background color or border of the element
with focus

?

MiaL

Readder/client providing user connntrol of colors?

SCR32: Providing client-side validation and adding error text via the DOM

?

MiaL

SCR33: Using script to scroll content, and providing a mechanism to pause it

?

MiaL

reader/client controlled

SCR35: Making actions keyboard accessible by using the onclick event of
anchors and buttons

?

MiaL

too web specific, but conncept makes sense for interactive content.

SCR36: Providing a mechanism to allow users to display moving, scrolling,
or auto-updating text in a static window or area

?

MiaL

reader/client featurre

SCR37: Creating Custom Dialogs in a Device Independent Way

?

MiaL

SCR27: Reordering page sections using the Document Object Model

??

MiaL

need use case for Dpub

Charles LaPierre