Re: W3C Community Group comments

Hi all,

The attached document is the product of my sort-of-exhaustive review
of the current drafts of the two W3C/DNT docs (TPE, the very technical
spec, and Compliance/Scope, the more policy spec).

It is best viewed in Word in "outline view," and roughly depicts the
current state of play of each issue in each of the two documents, TPE
first and Compliance/Scope second.  Some issues are simply omitted
because I didn't think we cared.  Where possible, I listed the issue,
the current draft text or my distillation of the email discussion, and
a brief thought or comment.  In some cases I included Aleecia
McDonald's comments on the issue.

Some issues are grouped/clustered because they are closely related.
Some groups of issues are designated as "defer" either because there
hasn't been enough done on them.  Other issues that haven't moved are
present because I believe some of us will nevertheless have comments.

The attached document does not replace the Community Group (CG) draft
that John and I sent earlier.  That draft remains, but I decided that
it would be easier for people to comment on individual issues if
presented in this form, rather than as a narrative.  My hope is that
people can skim the attached document and react to the individual
issues, so that John and I can get specific feedback on individual
issues.

We will then fit them into the prior CG draft, which of course may
necessitate a major rewrite.

Note that each issue mentioned in this attached document may not be
addressed in our final comments (due Jan. 10 to Aleecia).  I cast a
broad net now to minimize the chance of ignoring an issue that any of
us cares about.  But because the timeline is short, I expect to delete/
drop issues that no one weighs in on.  John and I will, of course,
address issues that we care about.

*We'd like all comments by 9 am Pacific Weds Jan 4.  Even if you don't
have time to do anything else, PLEASE review Jonathan Mayer/Mozilla
Draft Text on First Parties and Third Parties (ACTION-34, ISSUE-10,
ISSUE-26, ISSUE-88), which was sent earlier in this thread.*

Our goal is to send a final draft for sign-on late Sunday night, Jan
8, so that we can ship it Jan 10.  Because this is a coalition effort,
we don't expect full agreement, and intend to register dissenting
views -- but John and I only have so much time to incorporate
everything.

Happy New Year,
Lee