Re: W3C Community Group comments

On 20/12/11 07:45, John Simpson wrote:

> From a U.S. legal perspective, the vast majority of what users do
> online is quintessential First Amendment behavior—reading, writing,
> speaking, and associating with others.  Such First Amendment activity
> enjoys significant constitutional protections against direct
> government interference (e.g., First Amendment law protects anonymous
> speech and privacy of association), but these protections can be
> circumvented when private actors keep records of online activity.

On the other hand other regions and countries, such as the EU and
Australia, have much stronger privacy laws that *do* cover private
actors.  Since the W3C is not US-based and the DNT specification will be
global in reach, I'm not sure why the US First Amendment needs to be
mentioned in the second paragraph.  If anything, I would instead talk
up-front about the EU's Article 29 Data Protection Working Party, which
shows that the DNT specification needs to be strongly consumer-focused
if it is to be globally relevant at all.  In fact the comments do go on
to say this.

Otherwise I think that the draft comments are very good.

I'm also reposting below two remarks from my last email to this group in
To and CC but which didn't actually go to the list so weren't archived:

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

*The global voice for consumers*: www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/>
*Connect with CI*: Twitter _@ConsumersInt
<http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_ |
http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
*Help CI stay in touch:* please also add
ConsumersInternational@sut1.co.uk
<mailto:ConsumersInternational@sut1.co.uk> to your safe sender list

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't