magazines and OWP (was Re: Prioritisation)

Dianne is certainly correct that  magazine workflows are largely Adobe
CS-centric, and (per other email) that print-first orientation will likely
linger longer in this segment of publishing, at least for major consumer
magazines.

But I think it would nevertheless be a big mistake for this group to make
working on digital magazine requirements anything other than in-scope and
high-priority (at least in the big-picture sense).

The "jazzed-up print-replica" nature of digital magazines as per most
solutions to date (including the original Adobe DPS) haven't led to
large-scale customer traction, and it seems that Adobe is with its newly
announced "DPS 2015" moving towards more OWP-centric experiences, for
example by integrating Apache Cordova (aka PhoneGap). I believe there is
still a proprietary format for content and that the browser engine may not
yet be used to render all content but I'm not sure and the situation seems
to be a bit fluid (perhaps Leonard could give us some information about the
evolving DPS technical architecture).

More generally it seems clear that the major consumer print magazines are
being substantially disrupted by the Web and mobile apps and that both
established properties and new media firms will continue to arise that are
digital-first and in many cases digital-only. It is clear that these folks
will be directly benefited both by improving OWP base capabilities for
publishers and by working towards the EPUB-WEB vision.

And I think that magazines are an especially interesting and important use
case for EPUB-WEB because they are advertising-centric, and ads in digital
content  (in many cases) need to be dynamic not static, come from multiple
sources, have robust analytics, and be actionable by the user. These things
are of course easy to do with websites but not so straightforwardly with
packaged EPUB publications. OTOH digital magazines also (in many cases)
need to be distributed through channels, supported via custom applications,
and  usable offline, all things that are easy to do with for example EPUB
but not so straightforward with websites. Last but not least, magazines are
perhaps the pickiest segment about design/layout/typography: if we can make
OWP good enough for a consumer magazine art director, it is pretty much
guaranteed to be good enough for everyone else in publishing.

Strategically, I see digital magazines in the broadest sense as pushing the
need for convergence of publications/websites, online/offline,
real-time/dynamic and static/canonical content and improving high-design
layout/typography capabilities of OWP... all of which is precisely where we
should be looking for high-priority work items to fully realize the
EPUB-WEB vision.

Tactically, by this group explicitly working this this area we will be
setting a direction that OWP is the right platform for digital magazines...
 this would also encourage vendors such as Adobe to move further towards
OWP (and in the process help to improve OWP for all publishers).

--Bill