Re: Prioritisation

Hi Johannes

I am flattered by your comprehensive reply. My comments regarding TeX are
below, but I might not have explained myself well...

I am not suggesting anyone should use TeX code, or even be aware that
TeX/LaTeX is involved. The point is that it is a back end automated page
make up engine. So XML/HTML can be converted to PDF very fast and at very
high quality with the TeX engine invisibly doing the work.

Here are my points, distilled:

   - I like the idea of HTML/CSS/Javascript creating fixed pages to be read
   on screen with all kinds of interactivity
   - I still question trying to create footnotes, floating figures and
   tables, and typographic niceties which have primarily evolved for print on
   paper, being done in the browser. To me, floating items only apply to
   print, so no interactivity is not needed. Why not pass the info to an
   engine that knows how to do it well?
   - The problem of floating items, complex math, large footnotes that need
   to break across pages, and many other complex pagination problems have
   already been solved in TeX. These are not trivial problems and I worry
   about this working group reinventing the wheel, by starting to specify the
   basics of pagination from scratch. In my opinion, in the end the only way
   to solve the problem is to rewrite TeX in JavaScript!
   - Another problem I have is holding all our information in HTML as
   opposed to XML. I worry about how clean and semantic the content will be.
   after all HTML was designed to be forgiving, so even bad content will look
   good. We are all excited about the amazing gizmos in html and how the
   browser is the new publishing model, but what about 10, 50 or 100 years
   time? Will these html files still make sense? What happens when the browser
   is superseded? I am all for html tools and interactivity, but I suggest the
   definitive content should be XML, not HTML.

On 5 August 2015 at 23:34, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@vivliostyle.com>
wrote:

> Kaveh's email just reach me now, so I have only seen other parts of the
> discussion so far.
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Kaveh Bazargan <
> kaveh@rivervalleytechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> Forgive me for a very basic question, but it is a devil's advocate type
>> of question. And if this is not the place to ask this perhaps you can
>> direct me to any relevant discussions.
>>
>> My very basic question is, why do we need to "paginate" in the browser in
>> the first place? Why not keep the browser for reflowing and interactive
>> text, which is what it is good at, and use a standard mark-up pagination
>> system (TeX/LaTeX would be my choice) to do what that is good at. If
>> another system has already solved problems like footnotes and floating
>> figures, what exactly is the drive to reinvent that in the browser?
>>

> I am myself a LaTeX person and for a lot of things I would agree with you.
>
> However, there are some good reasons to do everything in browsers:
>
> A) You can have one source file for everything and don't need to do
> conversion
>
> B) Epub is already tied to HTML, sousing LaTeX as the universal format
> will likely not work in the long run
>
> C) Most people have a browser installed already, so you don't need to have
> them install anything else on their machine
>
> D) Browsers running extra layout JavaScript can be made to render more or
> less complex layout of the same sources. So far example you may say that
> you just want to show the text and put the footnotes at the bottom in a
> single parse. The layout will not be perfect, but on a mobile device that
> will give you a quick result. But on a server that is to produce a PDF out
> of the same source document, you can have it use a 7-parse process and add
> kerning, microtyping, etc.
>
> E) LaTeX document editing is not exactly easy. Many of the LaTeX documents
> I wrote 10-15 years ago I cannot simply parse using my current laptop with
> the latest TeXLive installed. And most of those are just 5-10 page long
> midterm papers for History, Literature or English language (so no advanced
> formulas, just citations and plain text). For my books I tried to add a few
> minor extras (such as a small flag icon that would be added before and
> after the chapter titles), and when I need to rerender them after not
> having rendered them for a year or two, I generally have to spend about a
> day on various online discussion forums to try to figure out what has
> changed in the latest versions of the renderers and how I can get around
> those issues. I am not entirely sure, but I imagine that this would have
> been easier had the sources been in HTML, as the renderer would at least
> render everything that it did understand instead of the everything or
> nothing approach of LaTeX.

Actually TeX is the fastest page renderer. Standard TeX files create pages
at over 100 pages a second on a normal laptop, including complex math and
footnotes. And I am surprised you had problem running old files. You must
have been using style files which had not been maintained. The TeX engine
has been frozen for 30 years!

But for this discussion most of that is irrelevant I think.

--
Kaveh Bazargan
Director