Re: As an aside, a possibly interesting read....

Maybe this was already discussed, but I’m in favor of a distributed ID system than a single, central system.

Take DNS. Or Java namespace. Their prefix comes from domain names authors own, which is unique, then authors can define whatever the rest. If a publisher wants to use ISBN, they could use, for instance, <epub://isbn-international.org/123456789>.

Since what we want is to identify publications, as long as authors or publications agree to use consistent domains/postfixes, I guess we can guarantee the uniqueness.

Maybe there are more use cases for the ID more than identifying publications? Use cases I have in mind are for links between publications and OA, these I think distributed system can do.

/koji