Re: As an aside, a possibly interesting read....

As the current chair of the BISG Identification Committee I would have to
take some exception to point number 2 below. The ID committee, after a
long and careful process, published two iterations of a Policy Statement
dealing with the identification of digital product, which goes into detail
and provides use cases for the assignment ofISBNs including those for
various forms of DRM.  And that is the key here. DRM, or usage
constraints, are complex with digital products.  Kobo using Adobe DRM part
of the transaction with a customer is one form.  A publisher allowing both
the sale and rental of the same digital product is another, as is a
provider limiting what the end customer can do with content in terms of
printing, or not printing.  I can go into more detail here but the Policy
Paper is freely available here:
https://www.bisg.org/best-practices-identifying-digital-content-0. So
there is guidance out there.

The confusion, which is echoed in the Digital Preservation piece, is this
conception, or misconception about buying a physical book and only
licensing digital content. If the content in question is copyrighted, then
you are always licensing the content. For a physical book you are buying a
package of licensed content. While you own the package and can sell it,
loan it or toss it in the garbage, what you can*t do is run the pages
through a scanner and sell the pdf version. When you buy one of our
hardcover books, for instance, there are two transactions going on
simultaneously, the rights transaction for the content and the purchase
transaction for the package. For digital content, those transactions
happen separately. One transaction is licensing the content, but there has
to be another transaction to obtain the platform, the package, on which to
render the content you*ve licensed〞a computer, an ereader, a tablet, a
phone.  This is what causes a great deal of confusion and complexity,
because there are so many platforms out there and all different abilities
and functionality. And with no longer having the constraint of fitting the
content to a particular package, you can do so many more things, like
adding different content, music, video, animation, sound,use different
business models for the same content, different usage constraints. That
is, of course, the frustration being described in the Digital Preservation
piece.

The ISBN was created to as a product identifier to track physical products
through the supply chain.  We have tried very hard to adapt that to the
digital world, but in the end, I think there is still a big question about
whether the ISBN is the best identifier for digital content in the long
run.

As for the work identifier, I think Laura gives a very good summary of the
issues.  The ID committee spent a few months trying to come up with a
viable idea for a work identifier, and in the end, we could not get a
consensus. In the absence of an industry work identifier (the ISTC was 15
years in development it seems), a lot of people came up with their own
proprietary ID schemes along the lines Laura pointed out. Whether an ISTC
is a real work Identifier or not is a matter of debate. I disagree that ii
is. It is actually an attribute of the ISBN〞-hat is how they are assigned.
 Different ISBNs of the same master content might have different ISTC*s.
Translations for instance.  Abbridged and unabridged audio.  They can be
linked, so one ISBN may have multiple ISTC*s associated with it. There are
those of us that believe that a Work identifier should sit on a level
above the ISBN. Again a matter of debate. There were very good reasons for
the ISTC not being adopted.  The vagueness of how they were to be assigned
and the complexity pretty high among them.

And I certainly agree with Laura that it isn*t going to get simpler.

Phil

Phil Madans | Executive Director of Digital Publishing Technology |
Hachette Book Group | 237 Park Avenue NY 10017 |212-364-1415 |
phil.madans@hbgusa.com <mailto:david.young@hbgusa.com>

On 9/23/14, 12:04 PM, "Bill Kasdorf" <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com> wrote:

>+1 This is a GREAT concise summary of the ISBN and ISTC issues.

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.