Re: FYI: Standards for Web Applications on Mobile

Ivan,

I think this is a good idea but I wouldn't narrow it to only "reading
systems" as use of the Open Web Platform for other publishing workflows is
increasing (including of course generating high-quality print publications
from Web content).

And in the long run I'm not sure that there'll be a distinct term "reading
system" vs. "user agent" (it's historical to EPUB but at spec level it is
really just a user agent that can handle packaged portable documents, and
these days, if a full implementation, expected to be built on a browser
stack).

One part of EPUB serves as, in a sense, a formalization of a profile of the
Open Web Platform for portable documents, and it might be useful if such a
report noted which specs or portions thereof were part of the current
release of EPUB (now 3.0, imminently 3.0.1), maybe similar to the CorMob
2012 badge in the mobile document. It might highlight a few rough edges on
our alignment (such as places where EPUB normatively references specs that
don't have a full circle yet, or doesn't reference a spec that arguably
belows as part of the portable document profile) but IMO better to get the
reality on the table.

Since publishing distribution spans desktop computers and mobile devices
(esp. when it comes to EDU and professional content) I personally would
love to see a baseline document from W3C that describes the current status
of the overall Open Web Platform, not just with a mobile lens. Then
segment/use-case specific specs could be specializations of that general
OWP status report.

--BIll