Re: [latinreq] Drop caps and raised caps - ED 2013-12-03

Another thing to consider is that drop or raised caps may need to
include more than one character, other than punctuation.  For example,
IJ in Dutch may be treated as a single unit. It's also possible that
Latin base characters may combine with diactritics, accents, etc which
are expressed as separate characters but must be dropped/raised with the
base.

Some of these cases will be captured by the requirement that the default
unit for applied drop/raise is a Unicode extended grapheme cluster, but
that will probably not cover all requirements - for example, the IJ in
Dutch when written as separate characters.

So I think there's a need for a requirement that multiple characters can
be combined into a drop/raised cap style. There should probably be a
default set to extended grapheme clusters per Unicode, but it should
probably also be possible to specify the number of characters to be
included.

InDesign allows you to specify the number of characters enlarged (you
can even select a whole word, or more), but it appears to automatically
include combining characters with preceding base characters.

ON A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TACK...

Branching out slightly beyond the remit of llreq, this is also an issue
for many complex scripts, which are syllable based. In these, typically
Indian and South East Asian, scripts a whole syllable has to be
enlarged. Sometimes it is sufficient to apply the styling to a grapheme
cluster (eg. in Tamil), but for other scripts which have more complex
syllabic clusters (eg. Devanagari) the current definition of grapheme
cluster is insufficient.  For example, in the Hindi word स्थिति
(‘sthiti’) the sequence of characters in the first syllable is as
follows in memory (see the attached graphic to see how it would be
displayed)

स  ‎0938  DEVANAGARI LETTER SA
्  ‎094D  DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA
थ  ‎0925  DEVANAGARI LETTER THA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I
त  ‎0924  DEVANAGARI LETTER TA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I

The extended grapheme clusters as currently defined by Unicode would be

[1]
स  ‎0938  DEVANAGARI LETTER SA
्  ‎094D  DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA
[2]
थ  ‎0925  DEVANAGARI LETTER THA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I
[3]
त  ‎0924  DEVANAGARI LETTER TA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I

Whereas the 'drop cap' (devanagari has no capitalisation, so maybe a
better term is needed?) would need to incorporate the *four* first
characters, ie.

[enlarged]
स  ‎0938  DEVANAGARI LETTER SA
्  ‎094D  DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA
थ  ‎0925  DEVANAGARI LETTER THA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I
[normal]
त  ‎0924  DEVANAGARI LETTER TA
ि  ‎093F  DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN I

Is there a place where the Digipub IG is capturing this kind of
requirement at the moment?  The Indic Layout Task Force, as part of the
Internationalization IG, has a document that mentions this kind of
thing, although there are errors in it currently on this topic, and
there is little progress being made at the moment. Perhaps in the new
year we could dust that off, update it and publish it as a FPWD that the
Digipub IG could point to?  Would that be the best way?

Cheers,
RI