Re: Thoughts/re-write on 2.2.2 Canonical Locators Mapping in user agents

On Sun, 2017-01-15 at 11:22 +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:

[...]
> http://www.nick-ruffilo.net/wonderfulwork.pwp <http://www.nick-
> ruffilo.net/wonderfulwork.pwp>
> http://www.ivan-herman.net/wonderfulwork.pwp <http://www.ivan-
> herman.net/wonderfulwork.pwp>

In the SGML (pre-XML) workd we handled this with "entity resolution",
and some of this carried over to XML. The idea was that a user agent
looks up each identifier (URI, filename, ISBN) in a local database
(which ended up in XML as a "catalog file") so that if you have a local
copy the user agent uses that instead of going to wonderful-
publisher.com.

In the Service Worker world we can do the same, essentially treating
our client-side document store as a sort of browser cache that never
expires.

> And then Tzviya writes a text where she wants to refer to a
> particular paragraph to the book, but she read my copy, what URL
> would she use for an authoritative reference?

She uses the publisher's URI.

>  How would she find that?

That's what ought ideally to show up in the "about this document"
panel, or the location bar if there is one...

> B.t.w. (you were asking this on the call): where a manifest-like-
> thing may come into the picture is to have an agree-upon place to
> store http://publishers-official-website.com/wonderfulwork.pwp
> <http://publishers-official-website.com/wonderfulwork.pwp>. And it
> may be the only thing we have to say here, but there may also be
> other issues.

That could also be done with a base URI perhaps.

I do actually see use in a manifest, especially in a world where e.g.
image filenames might be constructed by scripts. But that's mostly for
the publisher to get packaging right and I'm not sure it needs ot be
visible in the final publication.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>