Re: [charter] statement on EPUB4

I didn’t write that, but I can tell you what I think it is supposed to mean.

> higher degree of comprehensive accessibility capabilities and reliability

That unlike the general purpose PWP specification, the EPUB 4 profile will have a more comprehensive set of accessibility mandates.  Things that might be optional (or perhaps not even included in the base spec) may/will be mandated by this profile.  (No, I don’t have a good example, but it seems like something worth calling out)

Not sure, however, why reliability is here. I would hope that all PWPs are reliable.

> > with incompatibilities minimized.
>    What does ³incompatibilities minimized² mean?

There seemed to be a lot of concern from members of the current EPUB community that “backwards compatibility” was an important goal for EPUB 4, and this statement is designed to address that.  I don’t think it means anything technically at this point, just a statement of direction (that could probably use a bit of wordsmithing).

Leonard

On 2/14/17, 7:54 AM, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

    The charter draft [1]  contains this sentence on EPUB 4:

    > This specification defines a profile of Packaged Web Publications that
    >delivers a higher degree
    > of comprehensive accessibility capabilities and reliability.
    > This specification should be as close as possible to a strict functional
    >superset of EPUB 3.1,
    > with incompatibilities minimized.

    What does ³incompatibilities minimized² mean? For a concrete example,
    would using the HTML serialization be ok for EPUB4? Would it have to use
    exactly the same packaging mechanism?

    I would hope that all profiles of web publications would be reliable and
    comprehensively accessible.

    More generally, I¹m wary of defining restrictions like this at such an
    early stage. What is this statement trying to accomplish?

    Thanks,

    Dave Cramer

    [1] https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpubwg-charter/a11y-core/index.html

    This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.