Re: Rough sketch for WP, was Re: Dereferencing, was Re: Jotting down some discussion topics

I agree that for web publications – our goal should indeed be to figure out what the right pieces of the OWP are (beyond the obvious of HTML, CSS, JS, etc.) in order to address as many of our use cases as we can.  I believe that this will include some of the web & origin manifests specifications, services workers, etc.  This collection of technologies is what authors/publishers will use to be able to publish material in an “unpacked” form and for them to work natively in browsers.  (NOTE: I am assuming that there will exist an “RS”, in the form of other OWP materials, that will handle the UX)

Our secondary goal will be to figure out what is necessary to “package up” some or all of the same collection of material into a “file system compatible” format that be exchanged “off the web.”  And for this, we also have a set of use cases that will need to be addressed and this is where – I believe – more of the technical work will take place as we are entering into areas not currently part of the OWP.

Leonard

From: Bill McCoy <whmccoy@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 3:00 PM
To: Mike Perlman <perlmanm@me.com>
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Bill McCoy <bmccoy@idpf.org>, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>, "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>
Subject: Re: Rough sketch for WP, was Re: Dereferencing, was Re: Jotting down some discussion topics

I don't want to be bikeshedding here but I think it's an important point.

One criticism of EPUB is that it built too much superstructure on top of HTML.

We want to as much as possible explore the other end of that continuum - what is the minimum we need, beyond the HTML5 /OWP we already have, to meet the use cases identified for portable documents on the Web?

In this regard I'm with Dave Cramer - we don't need much and shouldn't add much.

So the "language" is just HTML5 which as a brand already signifies much more than just a "markup language".  And from the beginning (you know, Tim's physics papers) it was a document language, not (especially at the beginning) just a way to preload the initial facade for an app running in a JavaScript VM.

I could see using "WebPub" (for things conformant with some future specification for the *minimum* exra stuff needed) as long as we also accept that "web publication" (lower case) has a broader meaning and can be implemented in a variety of ways, not just whatever way the WebPub spec mandates.

Again I don't see that a WebPub spec has to necessarily do more than define reliable way to find and machine process a designated nav element, basically as Dave Cramer proposes. everything else (like manifests) is optional / should be defined more generally for the overall Web Platform (not just for WebPubs).

--Bill