Re: JS - inside or out?

Well… technically you are right of course. My formulation of "choice" may not be the best chosen during the discussion; WP should probably not make this decision as part of its specification.

My concern comes from a non-technical point of view, though. Are publishers ready to distribute publications with some sort of an embedded JS for the very purpose of display? Will there be some sort of a reference implementation that could be distributed by publishers, or do we rely on each of the publishers to do it themselves? We also have the issues raised by Dave…

The answer may well be: "it depends". It depends on the specific community of publishers; if I consider a WP containing a scholarly publication, that may be fairly different from a trade publisher's book. Ie, it may be some sort of a 'profiling' issue.

So this "choice" is there for a publisher community, authoring tools, etc, and it *is* a major choice that has to be made at some point.

Ivan

> On 16 Nov 2016, at 02:04, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Following up on a comment from the meeting on Monday:
>
> >Ivan: "There is one big choice to be made - and this is whether the javascript that does the heavy lifting
> > - is it something deployed as part of the publication, or external to a publication.
> >

> I feel very strongly that this isn’t something we should be mandating either way.
>
> If a given author wishes to include JS inside their publication to handle pagination or navigation – they should be able to do so.  However, we certainly don’t want to require that, so we need a model that also allows for UA-provided navigation.
>
> Leonard

Digital Publishing Technical Lead