Re: Manifest/Metadata requirements

I agree that in the best of all possible worlds, the updating system would update the manifest/metadata – however, in the real world that simply doesn’t happen reliably.  As such, reading systems can’t make assumptions and end up ignoring that type of info.

Leonard

From: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Manifest/Metadata requirements

Re item 2, I believe we had a use case along the lines of "As a reading system, I need to know that the manifest accurately and completely reflects the current version of the publication." So if you add such a chapter, you also have to update the manifest accordingly.

Agreed with item 1. I probably should have spoken up yesterday but I didn't want to interrupt the momentum we were on. I think clearly cover image can't be a requirement. Title, though, arguably could be: no matter what the nature of the publication is, it could be argued that a reading system needs some way to identify it to a user. That's of course veering into identifier land, so some wordsmithing to get at the issue of "designed for human readability" or something like that might be appropriate.

—Bill K