Re: Proposal: PDF alternative using HTML (ZIP/GZIP)

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for your feedback,

I should point out that I also don't want to create new formats if we can avoid it:

https://xkcd.com/927/ <https://xkcd.com/927/>

However, none of the formats mentioned so far really seem to fit that well with the example documents I've mentioned.

Well, PDF kind of does, but they have their own problems, which is why I'm proposing a HTML solution that is similar to EPUB.

I've just summarised these points at:

https://github.com/craigfrancis/wdoc/ <https://github.com/craigfrancis/wdoc/>

The reason I would still like to propose this new format is because it's basically re-using lots of existing standards, so it's really not much of a new format/standard.

I'm also really glad to see that you take accessibility seriously.

This is one of the three main points I really want to address (along with security, and how easy it is to create the documents).

HTML is one of the most accessible formats available (well, excluding some weird things that developers do with it), and this is why I've been interested in EPUB/PWP, but I do not think they work well for documents like:

- Invoices.
- Terms and conditions.
- Contracts.
- Reports, assessments, statistics.
- Bank statements.

Mostly because the PWP would allow these documents to change, and EPUB is currently being used with e-readers, where their use is a little different (e.g. storing the documents in a library by default, requiring a Table of Contents, etc).

Craig