[DPUB][Locators]Cancellation and Next Steps

From: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 14:19:39 +0000
To: "public-digipub-ig@w3.org" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Hi, folks-

Today's Locators Task Force meeting is cancelled, but our Task is not. ;-)

It has been suggested by several people that focusing on the actual structure of the locator, and getting a strawman proposal written down, is what we need to do now.

There has been some interesting discussion on the list:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2015Dec/0163.html (from Daniel Weck)
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016Jan/0095.html  (from Ángel González)

Ivan suggests that we need to write down:

- what should a GET return for a locator (something which is or either refers to a manifest in the abstract sense)
- what should a manifest, conceptually, include. At this moment, I see
                - an *identifier*
                - a mapping from absolute URL-s to relative URL-s (where relative means relative to the PWP instance URL)
                - a mapping from relative URL-s to absolute URL-s

Could somebody volunteer to draft a strawman proposal that we can use for the basis of discussion going forward?

--Bill

Bill Kasdorf
Vice President, Apex Content Solutions
Apex CoVantage