Re: [dpub-loc] 20160217 minutes

it’s been a while since I setup a new http server, but I seem to recall that while Apache defaults to index.html, IIS defaults to index.htm (or something equivalent).  No clue what Tomcat, Nginx, etc. are set to…

Bottom line, as you’ve pointed out before, we can’t assume server configuration…

Leonard

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org<mailto:ivan@w3.org>>
Date: Friday, February 19, 2016 at 6:08 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Cc: Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com<mailto:rdeltour@gmail.com>>, Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com<mailto:daniel.weck@gmail.com>>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org<mailto:public-digipub-ig@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: [dpub-loc] 20160217 minutes

On 18 Feb 2016, at 18:33, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:

But a dumb server would never return such a payload – it doesn’t know how to do that!

Remember, a dumb server is one that cannot be configured in any way – it only works with what it gets “out of the box”.  If you can configure it in any way, then it’s smart.

Given a dumb server (domain.com<http://domain.com>, in Daniel’s example) and the following URLs from Dan’s example:
"packed": "https://domain.com/path/to/book1.pwp",
"unpacked”: "https://domain.com/another/path/to/book1/"

Then referencing the packed URL will return the full data of the PWP in whatever format that ends up (eg. ZIP).  Referencing the unpacked URL will either return a catalog of the directory or an error – depending on the configuration of the server.  In NEITHER case will you get an HTML doc or a JSON doc.

To be fair to servers, none of them is that dumb I believe:-) At the minimum, they would automatically serve an index.html file if it is in the directory.

Ivan

Leonard