From: Romain <rdeltour@gmail.com<mailto:rdeltour@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>>
Subject: Re: [dpub-loc] 20160217 minutes

On 18 Feb 2016, at 02:49, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth@adobe.com>> wrote:

Actually, the big issue that I took away from the minutes is that ivan and I are in agreement that content negotiation (via standard web technique incl. the Accept header) is the proper way for the client & server to decide what to return on the GET from the canonical locator.   Daniel, however, appears (from the minutes) to be promoting a completely different approach.

As stated before [1], I am absolutely not convinced that content negotiation is a good approach.
I want to upload a PWP tomorrow to a static file hosting service; if conneg is required I can't do that.

More to the point: how to you GET the (manifest + Lu + Lp) info with the conneg solution? Maybe I just miss something.

Finally, may I turn the question the other way around: what are the benefits of content negotiation for the canonical locator? (compared to an alternative approach with explicit links in the GET answer (headers or payload).

Thanks,
Romain.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016Jan/0136.html

Daniel, if you can explain why you want to do something different from the standard web/REST model, I’d like to understand.

Leonard