Re: [dpub-loc] Draft update

> On 16 Feb 2016, at 09:33, Ben De Meester <ben.demeester@ugent.be> wrote:
>
> Hi Ivan, all,
>
> So, if I understand correctly, *M* consists of two parts: the manifest
> (the list of files that *P* comprises, comparable to what we have in,
> e.g., EPUB) *Ma*, and the link set *Mlinks* (i.e., the set *L*, *Lu*, and
> *Lp*).
> *Ma* is part of all states of *P*, and *Mlinks* is (probably) stored
> somewhere outside of *P* (the options for generating and/or storing
> *Mlinks* are manyfold: as a JSON-file, from a database, from a web
> service, automatically derived from the .htaccess file, ... I don't think
> there is a need now to specify that, just as we at the moment don't have to
> specify *how* *M* is returned).
> When someone GETs *L*, *Lu*, or *Lp*, *S* returns (the dynamically
> generated) *M*, in some way or another (see e.g., Ivan's suggestions), so
> the PWP processor knows both *Ma* and *Mlinks*.
> From there, the PWP processor knows what to do.
>

> Yes, I think this is a good summary.
>

> Concerning the 'server-modifications' discussion: as far as I see, we have
> two options discussed when trying to GET a resource from a packed PWP (and
> this, in fact, is orthogonal to the 'how to return *M* discussion'):
>
>    - either the server is modified to know about the internals of the
>    package format, and returns the resource to the client (complex server,
>    simple client)
>    - or the server returns the entire package, and the client needs to
>    know the internals of the package to retrieve the resource from the packed
>    PWP (simple server, complex client).
>
> Both have pros and cons, and I have the feeling this is the same problem
> as asking for any kind of data from a knowledge base from the web: either
> you download the entire data dump and retrieve the data on the client side,
> or you set up a query service and the client asks the question directly to
> the server. The end result is the same, the functionalities are the same,
> it's just a matter of where to put the complexity. Maybe, other
> intermediate options are also possible.
> So maybe, this last discussion doesn't have to be answered: complex
> servers can help the client to retrieve resources more efficiently, complex
> clients can handle simple servers, and we'll all live in a hybrid world.
>

> At this point, I definitely agree that the PWP spec does not have to
> (formally) specify all the various alternatives, certainly not trying to be
> exhaustive. But, I believe, due diligence requires that we do list *some*
> viable approaches that proves that whatever we are talking about is not
> just hot air:-)

Also fully agree, and -- as I assume the main issue here is, e.g., where to
unzip the packed PWP, client-side or server-side -- I think there are
viable approaches a-plenty, a quick search returned:
http://stuk.github.io/jszip/ (client-side) and
http://search.cpan.org/~phred/Archive-Zip-1.56/lib/Archive/Zip/MemberRead.pm
(server-side, although apache modules is not my cup of tea, so I might be
wrong here)