Re: [locators] High-level thoughts

Hey Bill,

As you say below, I am uncomfortable taking on this whole issue of ownership in the case of a PWP… The way I see it (and that may be oversimplification) with a way to move forward:

- A PWP has, as we agreed upon, an identifier. This is cast in concrete, stored in the (conceptual) manifest for the PWP.

- I have a specific PWP *instance* which has a locator. Let us call this one PWP1. (Let us put aside whether it has an abstract Locator as well as a locator for a, say, packed state and an unpacked state, ie, it may have several, closely related locators.). The locator to PW1 gives me access, via HTTP (or file reading) to the content. PWP1 may have rights attached to it, eg, I can add an annotation to it. The locator to PWP1 is accessible from within the specific state via the manifest, as well as the identifier.

- I may make a copy of a PWP1, eg, because I install it for a class. Let us call that instance PWP2. By doing so, I may have the possibility to add each student an access right for adding annotation for the whole class. In my mental model, PWP1 is different from PWP2, ie, it has a different locator. It uses the same identifier, of course, but it is a different instance.

(It is the same action as copy pasting a Web site and installing on my server. It has the same content, but it is on a different URL and with different rights because I can modify it.)

- Systems *may* add additional metadata to the copies if it is important to trace back where they come from. Eg, when I install a new copy for the classroom, the installation process may add to PWP2 a reference to PWP1. If I create a PWP3, that may have a reference to PWP2 and maybe even to [PWP1,PWP2] (ie, giving the full breadcrumb of the changes.).

I realize that this is a simplification. But I would prefer to leave the details out of our discussion, just providing the placeholder where systems may use complex information (eg, using the provenance vocabulary). But it should not affect the architecture of PWP-s more than that imho.

Note that Luc was asking/raising similar questions on the call. Maybe these thoughts are also relevant to him, too

WDYT?

Ivan

Digital Publishing Lead