Re: [dpub-pwp] Pull request for rewrite of intro to PWP white paper

On Dec 12, 2016, at 23:57, Cramer, Dave <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:

> Dear DPUBers,
>
> On Friday I rewrote much of the beginning of the PWP White Paper. I’ve made a pull request: https://github.com/w3c/dpub-pwp/pull/34
>
> An HTML version is available at https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpub-pwp/pull-request-dauwhe-1/index.html
>
> Feedback welcomed! I would ask that this PR not be merged until we’ve discussed everything and reached consensus.

With no strong attempt to distinguish between what is new in your rewrite and what predates it, here are just a couple of points I found while (re)reading:

> which must be "manifested" (in the FRBR sense)

Links would be welcome.

> Furthermore, a web publication is an ordered collection of resources. The publisher must provide a default sequence through the primary constituent resources

Really? An encyclopedia seems like a valid candidate for a web publication, but it is not fundamentally ordered. I agree that a web publication needs an entrypoint and needs to have all parts of the publication be reachable via internal navigation, but a linear ordering of the content seems to be only one way to achieve that. If you want to print the whole thing, you're going to have to find a way to linearize it, but it seems to me that the claim that ordering is a defining characteristic of a web publication is a tad too strong, even though it is not completely baseless.

—Florian