Re: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:03:41 -0400
To: ishida@w3.org
Cc: "Asmus Freytag (c)" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, www International <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
ishida@w3.org scripsit:

> I'm assuming that when you say content you are assuming that the
> quotation marks are part of the content(?).  They aren't. They are
> stylistic effects. (Which is why Tex says that he sometimes colours
> or italicises his quotes, rather than uses quotation marks.)

I see.

> (NOTE: in this thread i'm looking for views about which language to
> use when quotation marks are autogenerated, not seeking views on
> whether they should be autogenerated at all.)

In that case I withdraw everything I have said, for I have no view
about that.  When best authoring practices are being discussed, then
I'll urge that authors be told to either avoid q elements altogether,
or to set the CSS quote property to none and type in quotation characters.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],