RE: Best citation format for accessibility

Virtually all citations in scholarly journals (talking in the millions of them) originate in an XML format known as JATS (Journal Article Tag Suite, a NISO standard, previously and often still referred to generically as "NLM XML"). JATS has a very granular citation structure (two alternative approaches, one more strict than the other) that semantically delineates the components of a citation. This is essential to how CrossRef works, which is the citation resolution service pretty much universally used in scholarly publishing. A CrossRef DOI is registered for each paper; CrossRef provides a service that returns the proper DOI for a properly tagged citation based on the metadata registered for the cited paper and the tagging in the citing paper; and the DOI (which CrossRef specified should be expressed as an actionable link, a URI) goes in the citation when it is published so that it links to the cited paper.

Why I went into that detail is that this modeling and infrastructure is virtually universally used in scholarly publishing, which means that almost all citations are already semantically tagged at a pretty (and in some cases extremely) granular level—but in an XML model that is not HTML. My point is that from an accessibility point of view, the components of a citation are generally already known; the challenge is getting them from JATS to HTML.

--Bill Kasdorf

From: Bill McCoy [mailto:bmccoy@idpf.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:02 AM
To: Robin Berjon
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Best citation format for accessibility

The EDUPUB profile of EPUB 3 defines a number of semantic superstructures, many are adapted from the DocBook XML schema including "biblioentry". http://www.idpf.org/epub/profiles/edu/structure/ .

Whether the mapping of DocBook semantics to HTML5 via the EDUPUB profile is the "best" approach for citations is surely debatable but I believe it will support the semantic-based content reformatting you posit and as such will be good for a11y (which has been a primary concern in the EDUPUB initiative).

--Bill