Re: Best citation format for accessibility

Which also raises an interesting question, Bill.

Is there any reason that the epub:XXXX attributes are restricted to an EPUB?  Could they be used online or in other publication types?   And if so, would it be better to recast them as “dpub” or “pwd” in order to make them more general purpose?

Leonard

From: Bill McCoy
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM
To: Robin Berjon
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Best citation format for accessibility

The EDUPUB profile of EPUB 3 defines a number of semantic superstructures, many are adapted from the DocBook XML schema including "biblioentry". http://www.idpf.org/epub/profiles/edu/structure/ .

Whether the mapping of DocBook semantics to HTML5 via the EDUPUB profile is the "best" approach for citations is surely debatable but I believe it will support the semantic-based content reformatting you posit and as such will be good for a11y (which has been a primary concern in the EDUPUB initiative).

--Bill