Best citation format for accessibility

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:41:26 -0400
To: public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Hi,

citations in scholarly publishing have a long history of at-time
acrimonious disagreement over the exact format one should set them in.
There can be long arguments about the how and why of some specific
detail, but these are all about visual presentation. I have yet to hear
someone discuss the best format to use for the *content*, when in
digital form, such that it is most accessible.

By applying some technology, we can reformat a citation for visual
rendering. We can even make citation formatting follow readers'
preferences rather than publishers'. But when doing so the HTML-level
encoding of the citations should be optimised for semantic, non-visual
access.

So my question is: has anyone given thought to what the best order of
content and best markup practices would be for optimally accessible
citations?

Thanks!