New type of article storage system - Google?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:45:30 +0200
Cc: Ralph Swick <swick@w3.org>
To: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
A colleague drew my attention to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/technology/google-twitter-and-publishers-seek-faster-web.html?_r=0 <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/technology/google-twitter-and-publishers-seek-faster-web.html?_r=0>

[[
SAN FRANCISCO — In a world where many people read everything on mobile
phones, a few seconds of load time can mean the gain or loss of millions
of readers and advertising dollars.

Now Google wants to help publishers — and itself — by speeding things up.

Google is working with the social media service Twitter and major news
publishers like The Guardian and The New York Times to create a new kind
of web link and article storage system that would load online news
articles and digital magazine pieces in a few milliseconds, according to
several people involved in the project. That is a fraction of the five
to 10 seconds it can take to load a typical website.
]]

Does anybody know more about this? Is it something that we should keep an eye on, that we should know more about?

Thanks

Digital Publishing Lead
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704