Re: [Glossary] Definition of a portable document (and other things...)

From: Deborah Kaplan <dkaplan@safaribooksonline.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 09:36:10 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Bill McCoy <bmccoy@idpf.org>
I like this restatement. :)

> I am a little bit bothered that this definition becomes way longer than what I summarized last time[2], but maybe this is just the nature of the beast...

I admit that we have added a bunch of clarifications of SHOULD/ISN'T to
the main definition, but also we have just made a series of small,
granular definitions, which is a good way to go.

> * A **Web Document** is a Web Resource which itself is a collated set of interrelated Web Resources and which is intended to be seen as a
> single Web Resource

I am very happy with this definition. I assume we are all happy with the
presumption that a set can have only one member, which is the primitive
case of document. And I am very happy with using "intention" rather than
"curation."

"Collated," I think, is very good as well, because it gets at the idea
that these resources are supposed to be discussed in aggregate, without
using the loaded term I had chosen, namely, "packaging." For that
matter, I would be equally happy with "aggregate," if anyone has a
problem with collated.

> * Maybe the biggest departure of Deborah's definition: I must admit I was not convinced by the necessity of having a separate definition
> of a 'Portable Resource'. I did not see what it brings us...

No problem. I was running off the suggestion someone (Olaf, maybe?) had
made that we think of these as intersecting definitions of portable and
document, but I like the way you have phrased it as well.

Thank you so much, Ivan!

Deborah