RE: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

Let me rephrase:
Is there major project that is blocked, today, by the lack of this feature? What is it?

-----Original Message-----
From: White, Jason J [mailto:jjwhite@ets.org]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 10:27 AM
To: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>; Charles LaPierre <charlesl@benetech.org>; Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>; Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>; Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>; Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>; public-digipub-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

> On Nov 13, 2015, at 12:48, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> How common is the use case or extended descriptions on non-images? Is it something we need to solve right now, or could it wait for ARIA 2.0?

How common it is will vary with the kind of content that one is writing.

The summary attribute of TABLE was removed in HTML 5. The proposal to provide extended descriptions of non-image content seems to me to be an attempt to introduce a superior alternative. (I’ve heard tables mentioned on several occasions in this discussion, hence this supposition about the rationale.)

Thank you for your compliance.