W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-digipub-ig@w3.org > January 2015

Re: Minutes of today's meeting, 2014-01-05

From: Julie Morris <julie@bisg.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:15:18 -0500
Message-ID: <CACSdAxUAep_QTU+rwnV+UpHWHiz3-j9O+vhcQ5sTG86Pfvf+NA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Thanks, Ivan. I was present also.

-Julie

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Minutes are here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2015/01/05-dpub-minutes.html
>
> Text version below
>
> Thanks!
>
> ivan
>
>    [1]W3C
>
>       [1] http://www.w3.org/
>
>             Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference
>
> 05 Jan 2015
>
>    See also: [2]IRC log
>
>       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/01/05-dpub-irc
>
> Attendees
>
>    Present
>           Charles LaPierre (clapierre), Tzviya Siegman (Tzviya),
>           Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Ivan Herman (Ivan), Heather
>           Flanagan (HeatherF),  Alan Stearns (Stearns),  Phil
>           Madans (philm), Peter Kreutzberger (pkra), Deborah
>           Kaplan (dkaplan3), Bill Kasdorf (Bill_Kasdorf),  Ben De
>           Meester (bjdmeest), Tim Cole (TimCole), laura Fowler
>           (lfowler), David Stroup (david_stroup), Paul Belfanti
>           (pbelfanti), +Susann Keohane (skeohane)
>
>    Regrets
>           markus, Liam
>
>    Chair
>           Tzviya
>
>    Scribe
>           dauwhe
>
> Contents
>
>      * [3]Topics
>
>      * [4]Layout and pagination TF
>      * [5]Metadata TF
>      * [6]Content and Markup TF
>      * [7]Accessibility TF
>      * [8]STEM TF
>
>      [9]Summary of Action Items
>      __________________________________________________________
>
>    <trackbot> Date: 05 January 2015
>
>    tzviya: Markus will not be with us today
>    ... Happy New Year
>
>    <pkra> Happy New Year
>
>    <tzviya> [10]http://www.w3.org/2014/12/22-dpub-minutes.html
>
>      [10] http://www.w3.org/2014/12/22-dpub-minutes.html
>
>    tzviya: comments/objections about last meeting's minutes?
>    ... talked about metadata task force, went over document
>    ... Deborah and Charles discussed a11y TF's goals
>    ... Comments on minutes?
>    ... approved.
>    ... today we want to discuss where we are with the various task
>    forces, especially STEM
>    ... let's go through task forces in order
>    ... talk about plans, deadlines, etc.
>
>    <pkra> Could you post the link to the tracker?
>
>    <pkra> thank you :)
>
>    <tzviya> action tracker
>    [11]http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/actions/open
>
>      [11] http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/actions/open
>
> Layout and pagination TF
>
>    <pkra> I second dauwhe
>
>    Dave: pagination is working on updating latinreq regarding
>    bleeds
>
>    ...lots going on with CSS WG
>
>    <astearns> houdini meeting planning:
>    [12]https://wiki.css-houdini.org/planning/sydney-2015
>
>      [12] https://wiki.css-houdini.org/planning/sydney-2015
>
>    ...Boxtree API Taskforce (project Houdini) has been formed
>
>     ...this is being presented as extensible CSS
>
>    ...this will allow people to create new CSS properties
>
>    bill_kasdorf: is this a big, monolithic project or incremental?
>
>    dauwhe: some changes are fundamental and must be implemented
>    first
>
>    ...example, must figure out a way to make custom CSS a
>    possibility before we can do this
>
>    ivan: how will this solve the fundamental issue of pagination?
>    is this the only way to solve pagination?
>
>    dauwhe: not sure about any of these. This is just getting
>    started. Defining the fundamentals of Boxtree seems fundamental
>    to exposing requirements of Brady's pagination requirements
>
>    Ivan: This also seems much more complicated than pagination
>    though. Is there a simpler way to do pagination?
>
>    dauwhe: some of this is philosophical and based on extensible
>    web manifesto
>
>    ...there is an effort people to give  tools to do things rather
>    than giving them specific features
>
>    ...it is unclear exactly how this will play out
>
>    astearns: a concrete way that this could play out in pagination
>    is that now people have JS libraries that predict how content
>    will chunk out into "pages"
>
>    ...the boxtree model actually gives you the measurements
>
>    ...my participation is to tease out the little things that will
>    make work in current browsers a little easier
>
>    <Bill_Kasdorf> +1
>
>    clappierre: figuring out how much text will fit on a "page"
>    must depend on user as well because different users adjust size
>
>    astearns: one of the things that we must adjust is that now
>    scripts do not actually take in information about fonts
>
>    pkra: interacting with fonts is an interesting question that
>    comes up with other APIs (such as mathJax) as well
>
>    <astearns> yes - finding out what font is being used *and its
>    actual metrics* is crucial
>
>    <pkra> exciting.
>
>    tzviya: Brady isn't on call, but did move forward with
>    pagination requirements
>
> Metadata TF
>
>    Bill_Kasdorf: we made final edits to doc
>    ... and responded to Tzviya's feedback
>    ... and should be ready to publish on January 8
>
>    ivan: yes
>
>    Bill_Kasdorf: Nothing is being asked of us now :)
>    ... much of what we discovered is that education is needed, not
>    new specs
>    ... we're not clear on what our next steps would be. We're
>    feeling somewhat finished.
>
> Content and markup TF
>
>    tzviya: Thanks
>    ... Content and Markup TF
>    ... we had some discussions with PF in December
>    ... now we need to set up joint task force
>    ... to define Digipub vocab as module of ARIA
>    ... I will work on that with Ivan and PF
>    ... and then get terms defined over next few weeks
>    ... and we need volunteers!
>
>    [crickets]
>
>    HeatherF: I'd be interested in helping
>
>    tzviya: Thanks!
>
>    <clapierre> I believe Deborah and I are on that aren't we?
>
>    pkra: I would like to help out
>
>    tzviya: let's remove annotations from our list of task forces
>    ... a11y
>
> Accessibility TF
>
>    clapierre: We will be starting up our task force
>    ... we have wiki, etc
>    ... what is required in terms of digital publishing a11y
>    ... first phone call this Friday
>    ... either Tuesday morning or Friday afternoons
>
>    tzviya: Thanks
>    ... let's talk about STEM
>
> STEM TF
>
>    pkra: Was able to spend some time on this
>    ... questions have been transferred into questionnaire
>    ... my next step is to get feedback from the group
>    ... on track to get it out before the end of the month
>
>    ivan: to clarify, we had some technical problems before XMas.
>    Is it working for you?
>
>    pkra: yes
>
>    ivan: technical issues have been solved?
>
>    pkra: yes.
>
>    <pkra>
>    [13]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/64149/DPUB-STEM-2014-12/?log
>    in
>
>      [13] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/64149/DPUB-STEM-2014-12/?login
>
>    pkra: here's the link to the survey. If you're a member you can
>    edit it at your own risk
>
>    tzviya: do you want feedback now?
>
>    pkra: Hold off until tomorrow
>
>    tzviya: when you're finished, please send email to group
>    ... we don't want this group to respond to the questionnaire,
>    just send feedback
>
>    pkra: yes, right now I want feedback.
>
>    tzviya: anything else you need from us?
>
>    pkra: I'm good right now.
>
>    tzviya: one other thing I'm going to add to agenda
>    ... we need to review i18n web page and documentation
>    ... no one has had the time to do this?
>
>    HeatherF: I can help
>
>    ivan: Do you need the pointers?
>
>    HeatherF: if you could send me pointers that would be faster
>
>    tzviya: I'll send you a note
>
>    <HeatherF> Happy to volunteer.
>
>    <HeatherF> When is our next call?
>
>    tzviya: next big project will be the STEM survey
>    ... over next few weeks Markus will talk about EPUBWEB
>    ... thanks everyone! Use your extra half-hour wisely.
>
> Summary of Action Items
>
>    [End of minutes]
>      __________________________________________________________
>
>
>     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [14]scribe.perl version
>     1.140 ([15]CVS log)
>     $Date: 2015-01-05 17:07:48 $
>
>      [14]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>      [15] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
>
>
>
> ----
> Ivan Herman, W3C
> Digital Publishing Activity Lead
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153
> ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704
>
>
>
>
>
Received on Monday, 5 January 2015 17:15:47 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:35:54 UTC