RE: Footnote discussions

Of course. All I'm saying is that they're going to want to call a footnote a footnote. I am not trying to be funny, or difficult. And I totally get semantics. And I agree that there should not be a default presentation for a footnote. And I would love to have more meaningful semantics for types of notes (e.g., reflecting importance as Liam's original distinctions that started this thread pointed out). But good luck telling publishers they can't call a footnote a footnote, or that they can have only one kind of note. That's why I was coming around to the fundamental semantic being "note" and pushing the "kind of note" elsewhere (which I thought couldn't be anyplace else but @class, but if that can also go in @role, good).

From: ahby@aptest.com [mailto:ahby@aptest.com] On Behalf Of Shane McCarron
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 4:32 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Dave Cramer; Matt Garrish; Liam R E Quin; Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken; David MacDonald; Robert Sanderson; George Kerscher; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: Re: Footnote discussions

Which has very little to do with the topic at hand.  You can control literally ANYTHING in HTML / CSS.   This discussion is about whether there should be default presentation rules or presentation requirements.  I think that answer is clearly "No".  Because if there *were* such rules, they would be wrong for basically everyone.  Every publisher is going to want to have their own style.  It's important.  For me, for AT implementors, and for people who rely upon AT, the real issue is one of semantics.  Publishers need to mark up the content so it can be interpreted.  They also, and independently, need to make it pretty.  These are not conflicting, but they are orthogonal.