Fwd: Footnote discussions

David says his emails are bouncing from the list.  No idea why.  Here is
his latest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: Footnote discussions
To: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>, George
Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, "public-digipub-ig@w3.org" <
public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, "shane@aptest.com" <shane@aptest.com>, "
matt.garrish@bell.net" <matt.garrish@bell.net>

Agree that the language should be <note> rather than footnote, which is the
proposal to HTML5.

My thinking is that it would be an automatic 2 way link, and  therefore
would not have to be embedded in the paragraph.
http://davidmacd.com/blog/html51-footnotes.html

   - Hyperlink to the note from the ref point in document, and a default
   option to return to the point of reference
   - If there is more than one point of reference, the returning link would
   return to the point from where it was accessed.
   - Hyperlinks back to reference can be turned off with an attribute
   setting if there are multiple links to it in the doc.
   - *Speculative feature*: an attribute that allows the footnote to open
   in-line like the summary and details element right on the page where the
   reference to it is found.
   - WAI-ARIA could provide new region roles for role="footnotes" and
   role="endnotes".

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*